Sunday, May 1, 2016

Competition Pork Shoulder

This ended up being my worst category. I wanted to do some slices of money muscle along with the piles of pulled pork, but the pork was over done. As I was pulling the money muscle off it flaked apart just like the rest of the shoulder, so the judges each got their own pile of pulled pork. I think the biggest issue with this was simply that I've done so many shoulders I may have just phoned it in a bit.

For prep this got a generous dose of rub and sat in the cooler from about 2pm until around 10 pm. No injection, no brine, nothing. Next time it will get a little liquid love.

It went on the smoker at around 10:30 or 11. And it didn't budget until it was pulled off at around 11:30 to rest until turn in. The meat was pulled off at noon, portioned up and hit with a generous dose of sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment