Thursday, June 30, 2011

Drumsticks

This is the first food I ever made that got requests for seconds, and at one point a marriage proposal. It's not really BBQ as it is done in the oven with no smoke. It's really braised drumsticks, but it's braised in BBQ sauce. It's been a superbowl sunday favorite with my friends for many years now, so here's the recipe. Please don't be underwhelmed!

What you will need:

Deep baking dish or roasting pan
Aluminum foil
About 3 bottles of your favorite cheap bbq sauce
garlic powder
Approximately 5 lbs of drumsticks

cooking:

Heat over to 275

Put chicken in a single layer into your roasting pan or baking dish. Squeeze as many as you can in. Cover liberally with garlic powder. Then pour sauce over chicken. Get some on every piece. I add sauce until it comes up between 1/3 and 1/2 way up the height of the drumsticks. Cover pan with foil. Put in oven. About 2 1/2 hours later remove the foil and let bake for another hour.

If you have to move them to another vessel to transport to your buddy's house to watch a football game, I would suggest a large spoon for removing them from the pan. Scoop them up from underneath. Using your tongs or fingers will likely result in the bone sliding out and leaving delicious hunks of saucy meat in the roasting pan.

That's it. For as popular as this recipe is amongst my friends, I'm kind of sad to say that it isn't more involved.

4 comments:

  1. When I saw Superbowl favorite, I thought wings, as opposed to drums. I've recently (last summer) begun making wings more regularly since I figured out they can be grilled fairly easily. I have very heavy cast-iron grill grates, so I just get them ridiculously hot (~650F) then turn the grill down to medium (holds at about 400F) and put the wings on. I have to watch them closely and turn regularly to get the skins crispy and prevent flare-ups from the rendering fat, but they turn out just as tasty as deep frying, with a hint of smoky flavor to boot. Sauce as desired. Of course, at Superbowl time this requires going outside, which can be cold in MI, but I grill year-round anyway... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best steaks I ever grilled were done on the Winter Solstice. Happy Birthday to me! Mmmmm..... steak.......

    I've done wings on the grill, too. I've both grilled and slow cooked them. Either way works for me, but then, we all know how fussy I am about food :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my 7 year old requested "those sticks with the hunk of meat" for dinner...I immediately came back to make Mike's famous chicken drumsticks. Kind of strange to have the oven on all day in July, but he's so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny...I made these exactly a year ago and decided that's what's for dinner tonight...yummy!

    ReplyDelete