Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A note about recipes on this site

From time to time I will be posting recipes for various sauces, rubs, meats, sides, etc. All recipes are, at best, approximations. Especially the rubs. I'm terrible at measuring these things. For example, for the bbq sauce recipe, I put 3 cups of ketchup because it came in a 24 oz bottle and I guessed a cup and a half of cider vinegar because I used about that much to clean the rest of the ketchup out of the bottle. But a recipe reading, dump a bottle of ketchup into a sauce pan, fill the bottle half way with vinegar to rinse the bottle out and then dump that in the sauce pan. Add some onion powder, garlic powder, sugar and black pepper and simmer for a while just isn't a very useful recipe.

For recipes on this site, and in my opinion for ANY recipe, follow it at first. If you like it, great, keep using it. If you think it is missing a little something, add it. If it's got too much of something, reduce it. Cooking in general and BBQ in particular should be delicious experimentation. In my experience few methods of cooking are as forgiving and easily allow the cook to add his own flourish as BBQ. Don't be afraid to tinker. At the end of the day you have to eat your food. You should enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment